Helping You With Billing and Legal Issues
Learn more about our pricing information
- We welcome any and all general insurance questions. City of Hope contracts with most major Health Maintenance Organizations (HMO) and Preferred Provider Organizations (PPO) for hospital services.
- Additionally, City of Hope is a participating provider in government programs such as Medicare, MediCal, Tricare/Champus and Covered California.
- Insurance coverage will vary depending upon your insurance company, your plan and the state in which you live. Please speak with a representative from your insurance company to ensure that your treatment is covered.
- HMO plans will require written authorization from the primary care physician authorizing care at City of Hope in order to receive coverage for treatment.
Financial clearance services staff at the Duarte main campus location serves as a problem-solving resource for insurance and financial issues before a particular treatment or service has occurred:
- Financial counseling
- Explanation of benefits and eligibility
- Expected out of pocket costs
- Insurance Authorization
- Medical necessity screening
Financial counselors are available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. For additional questions, please call Financial Clearance Services: 844-936-4673.
Please discuss your individual needs with a City of Hope financial counselor. Upon completion of a Financial Assistance Application Form, along with the submission of all required documents, you may be eligible for financial assistance as defined by the City of Hope Charity Care Policy.
Charity Care and Collections Policies
- Charity Care Policy ( English | Spanish | Chinese )
- Charity Care Policy: Plain Language Summary ( English | Spanish | Chinese )
- Charity Care Policy: List of Providers ( English | Spanish | Chinese )
- Medicare Bad Debt ( English | Spanish | Chinese )
- Self-pay Collections ( English | Spanish | Chinese )
- Charity Care Evaluation Form ( English | Spanish | Chinese )
Practical issues can sometimes complicate your ability to receive medical care. Concerns such as transportation to your appointments, assistance applying for disability insurance and questions about your legal rights might be factors in your care.
You are not alone in sorting through them. Below are resources that can help.
Patient Resources Coordinator
Our patient resources coordinator focuses on providing patients and families with practical resources such as financial assistance, transportation to your Duarte appointments, health care referrals, support groups, childcare and more, so that you can focus on getting treatment. Call 626-256-4673, ext. 32273 for more information.
Cancer Legal Resource Center (CLRC) Legal Resources
Many legal issues may arise from cancer diagnosis through survivorship, including: health insurance options, employment rights and reasonable accommodations in the workplace, taking time off work, and access to disability insurance and government benefits such as Supplemental Security Income and Social Security Disability Insurance. Contact the Sheri & Les Biller Patient and Family Resource Center for more information at 626-256-4673, ext. 32273.
No Surprise Billing
When you're treated by an out-of-network provider at an in-network facility, you are protected from balance billing. In these cases, you shouldn’t be charged more than your plan’s copayments, coinsurance and/or deductible. Learn about your rights and protections against surprise medical bills.